When you open yourself to the continually changing, impermanent, dynamic nature of your own being and of reality, you increase your capacity to love and care about other people, and your capacity to not be afraid.
The Sanskrit word “yoga” means “to yoke”, or to connect, and the physical practices of yoga are designed to strengthen connections among your body, emotions, thoughts, and spirit. This can help center your day-to-day experience in a place of calm and clarity, and it is at the heart of Chair Yoga, just as in a yoga practice where you might stand or sit on the ground. And just as with other kinds of yoga, a gentle Chair Yoga practice can also improve your:
- Ability to tolerate and work with chronic pain
- Ability to feel connected with others
- Breathing (one key to mental clarity)
- Proprioception (awareness of your body in space–key to moving safely through the world)
- Interoception (awareness of body sensations in the present moment–key to emotional well-being and stability)
Chair yoga sessions are adaptable for people with a variety of experiences and needs; please feel welcome to contact me if you have any questions about this!
Wishing you peace,